• townHall
  • christmas
  • viewEast
  • sunset
  • sunflowers
  • hayBales

Building & Zoning Contact Info

Don Smith

Building Inspector

phone icon (845) 677-3419 ext  112
fax icon (845) 677-1195
email icon Email

Candy Rheder - Building  Clerk 

11:00 am - 3:00 pm


Nancy Patrick

Zoning Administrator

phone icon (845) 677-3419 ext 113
fax icon (845) 677-1195
email icon Email

9:00 am - 11:00 am 


Office Hours

Monday - Friday
11:00am - 3:00pm

Inspections by Appointment
1:00 pm - 4:00pm

home icon 10 Reservoir Dr, 2nd floor
       Millbrook, NY 12545

For residents preparing to sell their home, a municipal search is generally requested by a Title Company prior to the closing.  It is recommended that the property owner review the following applications to ensure they are prepared with the steps needed for the town to efficiently process the request.   The forms must be completed and submitted as instructed.

Request for a Municipal Records Search

Consent to Inspection (Adopted 8.13.20)

Owner's Endorsement approved 8/13/20

If there have been any improvements to the property, which you did without obtaining a building permit, it is highly recommended that you contact the building department to correct this situation.  The Town has found that people often make the following improvements without a building permit:  pool and heating system, a deck, generator, shed over 12 x 12.   If improvements are found during the municipal search, please note that your closing date may be delayed as you apply for the correct permits.  


The purpose of the Town of Washington Building Department  is to provide for a minimum level of protection from the hazards of fire, inadequate building construction and improper maintenance in residential and non-residential buildings through the enforcement of Local and State codes, rules, and regulations. Enforcement is enacted through the issuance of permits, notices and orders, performance of inspections and issuance of certificates.

Building Permits

In the Town of Washington, both State and Local codes require that no person or organization shall begin to excavate, construct, demolish or change the nature of the occupancy of a property without having first applied for and obtained a permit.

In order to assure that your project is completed safety and in accordance with all town requirements, a building permit is required for most types of home improvements. To ensure a thorough review of your plans, your application for a permit should be filed at least two weeks in advance of the start of your project.  Some projects require permits and approvals from other entitities such as the Town Highway Superintendent, Planning Board or Zoning Board of Appeals, the Dutchess County Board of Health, Planning Department or Public Works or the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation or Department of Transportation.  Approvals from these entities must be received prior to the approval of a building permit.

The  Zoning Administrator is responsible for the effective, timely and consistent enforcement of local and state laws.   Prior to the issuance of any building permit, or application review by the Planning Board or Zoning Board of Appeals the Zoning Administrator performs site inspections and conducts a full review of the property to ensure that the property is in compliance with all local laws.




Building & Zoning FAQs

The fee for residential construction, alteration and renovation is $.40 per square foot.  Fees for other types of work vary and may be viewed on the Town’s website.

If all required approvals are completed, a building permit is normally issued within 3 business days.

You have the right to file for a variance from the Town’s Zoning Board of Appeals.  To be placed on the agenda, you should call the Zoning Board secretary, Nikki Caul at 677-8080.

Setbacks vary according to the zone you are in.  A list of setbacks for the various zones is found in Appendix B of the Town Zoning Code.

A second residential structure on your property will need approval by the Town Planning.  You should know before you proceed that Town code requires that you have double the acreage of the zone you are in.  For instance if you are in a 10 acre zone, you would be required to have 20 acres of land.  Furthermore, Department of Health approval will be required.

State Law requires the Building Department to have stamped plans for a structural project over $20,000 in cost.

When do I need inspections on my projects?

Typically, inspections include:  footings, walls, drainage, framing, insulation, and final Certificate of Occupancy.  An electrical inspection must also be done by a third party agency.

Yes.  Demolition permits are required for the removal of a structure or the substantial alteration of a structure.

In as much as large tents are addressed by the state building code, a permit is required.

The building department is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 – 12:00 with the exception of holidays.  The inspector makes most inspections between these hours, but will make other arrangements when necessary.

The Building Department is open from 8:30 am - 12:30 pm.

Inspections are by appointment.