Town of Washington
February 12, 2015
Deputy Supervisor Stephen Turletes:
• Pledge of Allegiance
• Request by Hudson Valley Area Labor Federation for a resolution in support of keeping the Mid-Hudson Postal facility Plant opened.
• RESOLUTION to accept a donation of $110,000.00 as a conditional gift from the Fraleigh Hill Conservation Commission
Highway Superintendent Michael Brownell:
• Monthly report
Bookkeeper to Supervisor Laura Hurley:
• Monthly report
Town Clerk Mary Alex:
• Minutes of January 8 and January 28, 2015
• Tax Collection Payment to the Supervisor on 2/9 $691,244.55
• Website Update
• Proposed fee changes for Building and Zoning, Planning Board and ZBA
• Present the Millbrook Free Library report for Sep. 2014 – Dec. 2014
• Councilman Turletes: Recreation
• Councilman Audia: Buildings & Grounds
• Councilwoman Mosca: Comprehensive Plan
• Councilman De Bonis: Planning & Zoning
Review and Approve Claims
February 11th, 2015
The Town of Washington Planning Board meeting has been rescheduled for Tuesday, February 10, 2015, at the Town of Washington Town Hall beginning at 7:30 PM.
February 9th, 2015
The Town is seeking a volunteer to serve on the Board of Assessment. The purpose of this Board is to hear residents complaints regarding their assessments and to make determinations in whether a property value should be changed.
Interested parties must be available on the 4th Tuesday in May, attend a training class and be 18 years of age. Emails or letters of interest may be sent to Mary Alex, Town Clerk, email@example.com or PO Box 667, Millbrook, NY 12545.
February 9th, 2015
The Planning Board meeting scheduled for tonight has been cancelled. A new date will be announced when scheduled.
February 3rd, 2015
The Town of Washington offices will be closed on Tuesday, January 27th, including the Town Transfer Station and the Justice Court. All court appearances scheduled for January 27th have been rescheduled to February 3, 2015 at 5:00 PM.
Dutchess County officials in collaboration with local municipal leaders have declared a State of Emergency beginning at 9:00 PM on January 26th. The State of Emergency restricts travel on all roadways in Dutchess County. Your cooperation with these orders are appreciated. The State of Emergency is issued pursuant to Section 24 of the New York State Executive Law. It is enforceable by local, county and state law enforcement agencies.
The Town of Washington Highway Department will have their full fleet of large snow plow/sanders, as well as two small plow/sander trucks clearing the roads and intersections. During a normal snow event it takes approximately four (4) hours for a crewmember to complete his route. It is anticipated that with high winds and white out conditions it will take 5 – 6 hours for each run to be completed.
As a reminder, it is unsafe to plow snow into the roadways. Plow operators may be ticketed and fined if they engage in this practice.
Central Hudson has prepared for potential power outages with 50 trucks and crews being deployed from the Chicago area. Restoration of services will be heavily dependent upon road conditions.
January 27th, 2015
Due to the Severe Weather Warnings, the Town of Washington offices may be closed on Tuesday, January 27th. Please call the Town Clerk’s office at 677=3419 before coming to the Town Hall.
ALL cases appearing before the Justice Court have been rescheduled for February 3rd at 5:00 PM.
The highway crew will be out plowing. Please remember that each run takes approximately four hours to complete. Your patience is appreciated.
Central Hudson is expecting possible power outages and encourages everyone to make plans accordingly.
January 26th, 2015
TOWN OF WASHINGTON
The Town of Washington Town Board will be holding a special meeting on Wednesday, January 28, 2015, at the Town of Washington Town Hall. The meeting will begin at 7:00 PM. The purpose of the meeting is to discuss several matters relating to the Highway Department and other business that may come before the Board.
Dated: January 22, 2015
By the Order of the Town Board
Mary Alex, Town Clerk
January 22nd, 2015
Town Roads – Contact Highway Superintendent Michael Llanes 914-456-9403
Dutchess County – 486-2900 Millbrook Sub-Station 677-4090
NYS DOT – 431-5950
Village of Millbrook 677-3022
January 19th, 2015
The 2015 Property Tax Bills are currently being processed for distribution. We expect to mail tax bills to property owners on Friday, January 16th.
It is the responsibility of the property owner to notify the tax collector of any changes to their account, such as address changes, change in escrow or mortgage companies and a payoff of mortgage. We request that changes be made in writing or via email to P O Box 667, Millbrook, NY 12545 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tax payments received on or before February 28th will not be charged a penalty. Since February 28th falls on a Saturday, payments made on March 2 will not be charged a penalty.
March 2 – March 31 2% penalty
April 1 – April 30 3 %
May 1 – May 31 4% plus a $2.00 reminder fee
It is the responsibility of all property owners to be aware of when taxes are due.
Tax bills and record of tax payments may be viewed online at: http://http://egov.basny.com/washington/
If you have any questions, please call Mary Alex at 677-3419. The Town Clerk’s office is open Monday – Friday from 9 am – 3 pm, excluding 12:30 – 1:30.
January 12th, 2015
Town of Washington
Town Board Agenda
January 8, 2015
Supervisor Gary Ciferri:
• Open meeting with the Pledge of Allegiance.
Attorney Jeffrey Battistoni:
• Administer the Oath of Office to Michael Llanes, Highway Superintendent.
• Dana Sukow as Justice Court Clerk
• Nikki Caul as Secretary to the Planning Board and Zoning Board of Appeals
• Laura Hurley as Bookkeeper to the Supervisor
• Warren McMillan as Recreation Director
• Kelly Whalen as Assistant Recreation Director
• John (Jack) Neubauer as Building Inspector and Zoning Administrator
• Judy Malstrom as Clerk of the Assessor
• Nancy Patrick as Building Inspector and Zoning Administrator Clerk
• Louis Spagnola, Jr. as Constable
• Louis Spagnola, III as Deputy Constable
• Anthony De Bonis as Dog Control Officer
• David Greenwood as Town Historian
• Laura Briggs to a 7 year term on the Planning Board
• John Parisi to an additional 5 year term with the Zoning Board of Appeals and to appoint him as Chairman of the Zoning Board of Appeals
• Jeff Feigelson to the Board of Assessment Review 5 years
• The Law firm of Van de Water & Van de Water as Attorney for the Town
• The Bank of Millbrook as the official depository of Town funds
• Established the regular meeting of the Town Council to be held on the 2nd Thursday of the month beginning at 7:00 PM
January 8 February 12 March 12 April 9
May 14 June 11 July 9 August 13
September 10 October 8 November 12 December 10
• Authorized Supervisor Ciferri to invest town funds in time or authorized investments as approved by the Town Board
• Established 50 cents per mile as the official rate of mileage for reimbursement to employees and elected officials while on official town business
• To compensate highway employees within the limits of appropriated funds as established in the 2014 budget. All non-salaried employees are to receive time and a half for hours worked over 40 hours per week.
• To establish a procurement policy to authorize the Highway Superintendent to spend up to $3,500 to buy additional equipment and highway materials without prior approval, $3,500.01 – $5,000.00 with prior approval and $5,000.01 – $10,000.00 with approval and quotes from at least two vendors
• Authorize elected officials to attend the Association of Towns meeting in February
• Appoint the Poughkeepsie Journal, the Millbrook Independent and the Millerton News as the official newspapers of the town. Legal notices will be published dependent upon publication needs.
• Approve the procurement of a blanket undertaking from a duly authorized corporate surety covering the officers, clerks and employees of the town. Any such blanket undertaking entered into must indemnify against losses caused by the failure of the officers or employees to faithfully perform their duties or by their fraudulent or dishonest acts.
• Established the rates of compensation for all officials and employees as indicated in the 2014 budget and below without a previous audit from the Town Board.
2014 TOWN OF WASHINGTON
SCHEDULE OF SALARIES OF ELECTED & APPOINTED OFFICIALS
OFFICER POSITION SALARY
Gary E. Ciferri Supervisor 16,000
Stephen Turletes Deputy Supervisor 5,150
Karen Mosca Councilmen (Three) 4,120
Mary Alex Town Clerk 43,775
Irene Wing Deputy Town Clerk 32,000
Laura M. Hurley Bookkeeper to Supervisor 45,514
James Brownell Highway Superintendent 59,610
Warren McMillan Recreation Director 30,000
Kelly Whalen-Cassinelli Recreation Assistant 34,235
Elizabeth Shequine Justice 14,590
Bruce Aubin Justice 14,590
Dana Sukow Court Clerk 39,650
W. James Tyger Assessor 35,486
Judy Malstrom Assessor’s Aide 17.14hr
Clayton Tyger Real Property Data Lister 16.92hr
Nicolina Caul Secretary to Planning/Zoning 19.09 hr
Anthony De Bonis Dog Control Officer 9,597
John D. Neubauer Building Inspector I 34,495
Nancy Patrick Building Dept Sec 16.06 hr
Thomas Fiore Groundskeeper 22473
Louis Spagnola Constable 3,362
Louis Spagnola, III PT Constable 2,350
Earl Smith Cleaner 11.74 hr
James Browne;; Solid Waste Attendant 17.15 hr
Joseph Magnarella Solid Waste Attendant 17.15hr
Edward Wheeler H/MEO 27.03
Charles Erts Auto Mechanic 25.18
Thomas Coy H/MEO 23.06
Joseph Erts MEO 19.70
Jason Murphy MEO 18.98
Wayne Gruntler MEO 21.63
John Hay Deputy Highway Sup’t. 18.50
• The Annual Statement of Disclosure must be adhered to by any elected official, employee or volunteer with an interest in a business, corporation or entity that the town has business dealings with.
• All Elected Officials participating in the NYS Retirement System are required to keep a three month log that must be completed by May 30, 2014 and submitted to the Town Clerk by June 29, 2014.
County Legislator Michael Kelsey:
Dutchess County Update
1. Judge Bruce Aubin
2. Sean Pratt on behalf of Fraleigh Hill Conservation Committee
Bookkeeper Laura Hurley
• Monthly report
Highway Superintendent Llanes:
• Request the purchase of 10 wheel dump truck through the Onondoga County Bid # 7823
Town Clerk Mary Alex
• Town Clerk Annual Report
Local Share $57,102.89 $56,706.05
DEC Licenses $709.99 $874.45 – 29 less licenses sold
Marriage License $297.50 $385.00 – 5 less licenses sold
Transfer Station Permits $23,870. $23,485. 1 additional contractor permit sold
Transfer Station Punch Cards $27,000.00 $26,200.00 slight increase in $40.00 tickets
Dog Licenses $4,236.00 $4,038. Addition of 2 purebred licenses
• 2015 Tax Bills will be ready for pickup from Dutchess County on 1/9/15
• Electronic Waste Collection Site recommendation for town to register
• Shared services grant with Pine Plains $375.00 for codification by General Code
• Request permission to attend AOT meeting in February
Councilman Stephen Turletes:
• Recreation Update
Councilman Robert Audia:
• Buildings & Grounds
Councilwoman Karen Mosca
• Comprehensive Plan Update
Councilman Al De Bonis
• Planning Board
• Zoning Board of Appeals
• Dog Law amendments
• Public Comments
Town Clerk Alex
• Annual Audit of Town Clerk books
• Annual Audit of Justice Court Books
• Executive Session – litigation Homeland Towers v TOW and TOW Planning Board
• Review of Claims
January 8th, 2015