Town of Washington Town Clerk
Mary E. Alex – Town Clerk, Tax Collector, Vital Registrar
Irene C. Wing – Deputy Town Clerk, Deputy Tax Collector and Sub Registrar
Hours: Monday – Friday 9:00 AM – 12:30 PM and 1:30 – 3:00 PM
Town Clerk Mary Alex has been proudly serving the community since 1993. The office of the Town Clerk is the hub around which Town business revolves. Town Clerk Alex and Deputy Clerk Wing strive to provide every visitor with prompt, courteous and reliable service. The Town Clerk, elected every four years, serves as the Tax Collector, Licensing Agent and the Records Management Officer of the Town. Custodian of all the records, the Clerk is responsible for active files, disposition of inactive records and protection of the archives.
As Secretary to the Town Board, the Clerk is responsible for providing meeting notices, preparing and maintaining the minutes of Town Board meetings and the preparation of claims for review by the Town Board. While the Town Clerk attends all Town Board meetings, she is not a member of the Town Board and has no vote on matters coming before such board.
The Town Clerk serves as the Registrar of Vital Statistics issuing Birth certificates, Marriage Licenses, Death certificates and Burial Transit permits, as well as filing the records with the New York State Department of Health.
In the Town of Washington, the Town Clerk is responsible for the day to day activities of all town departments, except the Highway Department, maintains the Town website and is responsible for a variety of personnel and human resource matters. Town Clerk Alex is a Notary Public, providing complimentary services to Town residents.
The Town Clerk:
- Provides local licenses including Dog Licenses and Transfer Station Rates
- Issues licenses for New York State including Marriage Licenses, Sporting Licenses and Parking Permit for Persons with Disabilities
- Serves as the Registrar for Vital Statistics for the issuance and filing of Birth and Death Certificates.
- Is the Records Access Officer managing the records and documents that are important to the lives of the townspeople.
- Attends all meetings of the Town Board and acts as clerk thereof, keeping an accurate record of the proceedings.
- Is one of the few Town Clerk’s in New York State that also serve as Tax Collector.
Further Specific Information: