Town Clerk


10 Reservoir Drive
P O Box 667 Millbrook, NY 12545
Tel (845)677-3419
Fax (845)677-2085

Mary E. Alex – Town Clerk / Tax Collector / Vital Registrar
Irene C. Wing – Deputy Town Clerk, Deputy Tax Collector and Sub Registrar


The Town Clerk’s Office is located in the Town Hall, 10 Reservoir Drive, Millbrook, New York. Hours of operation are Monday through Friday from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM. We close from 12:30 -1:30. Special office hours are also available by appointment.

The Town Clerk’s Office is frequently considered the center of town government and the primary source of information. We come into contact with hundreds of town residents and have made it a priority to be as efficient and knowledgeable as possible. The Town Clerk attends all meetings of the Town Board, and acts as clerk thereof. She keeps a complete and accurate record of the proceedings of each meeting. The Town Clerk is not a member of the Town Board and has no vote on matters coming before such board.

The Town Clerk is a Commissioner of Licenses for New York State for the issuance of Marriage licenses, Dog licenses, Sporting licenses and Disability Parking Permits. This office issues local permits, including Town Transfer Station Permits. The Town Clerk serves as the Registrar for Vital Statistics for the issuance and filing of Birth and Death Certificates. As prescribed by New York State Law the Town Clerk is the Records Access Officer managing the records and documents that are important to the lives of the townspeople.

In the Town of Washington, the Town Clerk is also the Collector of Taxes. The Office of the Tax Collector is not a policy making office. This office does not determine tax rates. The office is responsible for collection of all real property taxes levied by the Town and County.


A couple who intends to be married in New York State must apply in person for a marriage license to any town or city clerk in the state. Each applicant must furnish acceptable proof of age and identification by submitting one of the following age related documents:

  1. Birth Certificate
  2. Baptismal Record
  3. Naturalization Record

And one of the following identity related documents:

  1. Driver’s license
  2. Passport
  3. Employment Picture ID
  4. Immigration Record

There is a twenty four hour waiting period from the time you obtain your marriage license until the time you are married. A marriage license is valid for 60 days, beginning the day after it is issued.

The cost of a marriage license is $40.00, which includes the issuance of a Certificate of Marriage Registration. This certificate is automatically sent by the issuing clerk to the applicants within 15 days after the completed license is returned by the officiant (person who performs the ceremony). It serves as notice that a record of the marriage is on file. Couples who do not receive a Certificate of Marriage Registration within four weeks of the wedding should contact the town or city clerk who issued the license.

Information regarding all previous marriages must be furnished in the application for a marriage license. This includes whether the former spouse of spouses are living and whether the applicants are divorced and if so, when, where and against whom the divorce or divorces were granted. A death certificate or certified copy of the decree of divorce or certificate of dissolution of marriage shall be required for each previous marriage.

A person’s last name (surname) does not automatically change upon marriage and neither party to the marriage is required to change his or her last name. The bride and groom need not take the same last name. One or both parties may elect to change the surname by which he or she wishes to be known after the marriage by entering the new name in the appropriate space provided on the marriage license.

The new name must consist of one of the following options:

  • The surname of the other spouse
  • Any former surname of either spouse
  • A name combining into a single surname all or a segment of the pre-marriage name or any former surname of each spouse
  • A combination name separated by hyphen, provided that each part of such combination surname is the pre-marriage surname, or any former surname of each of the spouses.

The use of this option will provide a record of your change of name. The marriage certificate, containing the new name is proof that the use of the new name is lawful. The local Social Security Administration office should be contacted so that its records and your social security identification can reflect the name change. Your marriage license surname cannot be changed after the marriage ceremony.


Reserved parking for people with disabilities ensures safe and equal access to goods and services. We can assist you by issuing a parking permit in accordance with New York State Motor Vehicle Law. The application must be completed by the applicant and their physician. Temporary or permanent permits are issued according to the specifications of the physician. A New York State Driver’s License must be presented with the application.

For forms and additional information click below:

   Handicap Parking Permit Instructions & Application

A reserved parking space for people with disabilities is a legal requirement, not just a courtesy. You can help support the law by parking in reserved spaces only if you have a permit, and only when the person who received the permit is actually in the vehicle.


Pursuant to Article 7 of the Agriculture and market Law, no person shall own or harbor a dog within the Town of Washington unless such dog is licensed. Such license shall be renewed annually at fees determined by the Town Board of the Town of Washington. There shall be no fee for any license issued for any guide dog, hearing dog, service dog, war dog or police work dog , and copies of any license for such dogs shall be conspicuously labeled as such by the person issuing the license.

All dogs over the age of four months shall require a license. The license is most important if your dog is missing from your property or picked up by a dog control officer. The tag enables us to match the dog and the owner. When licensing your dog, a Veterinarian certificate showing current rabies information is required. In addition, if the dog has been spayed or neutered, a certificate of spay or neutering must be presented to be eligible for the reduced licensing fee.

In the event of an enumeration, unlicensed dogs will be assessed an additional fee of $30.00.

The fees are as follows:

  • Spayed or neutered dogs $8.50
  • Un-spayed or Un-neutered dogs $15.50

Dog licenses are to be renewed annually through the Town Clerk’s office. They may be renewed by mail or in person.

For more information click below:

The Town of Washington and Village of Millbrook Dog Control Officer is Ed Adams. To contact him regarding a lost or found dog, please call 724-3313.


Hunting and fishing licenses are issued during normal business hours. To renew a sporting license a current driver’s license is required. If applying for a hunting license for the first time, a hunter’s education certificate or previous proof of hunting must be presented. The fees vary depending upon the type of license being purchased.

For information on regulations and hunter education classes click below:

   NYS Department of Environmental Conservation


The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation has enacted a statewide ban on burning trash, eliminating burn barrels and open pits to incinerate waste. The ban does allow for some exceptions, including the burning of tree limbs and branches from May 15 through March 15 in towns with less than 20,000 people. Burn permits are not required. For questions regarding burning call the DEC at 845-256-3026 or visit their website at


The Town Transfer Station is located on Rt. 343, and is open Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday from 7:30 am – 4:00 pm. The facility is available to residents provided they purchase a current permit. All permits expire annually on June 30th.

The permit fees are as follows:

  • Resident $75.00
  • Senior Citizen (62) $45.00
  • Additional Vehicle per household $20.00
  • Contractor $355.00

Click here for complete details of all transfer station fees

The permit gives access the facility and the disposal of recyclables, brush and leaves. A bag ticket is required to dispose of household garbage.

The fee for bag tickets are:

  • 5 Bag $20.00
  • 10 Bag $40.00

Residents provide their own bags. Each punch allows for the disposal of a 33 gallon bag of garbage. The facility accepts non-hazardous bulk items at additional fees.

The Dutchess County Resource Recovery Agency sponsors Household Hazardous Waste Disposal Days throughout the year. Residents must pre-pay and pre-register.

Call 463-6020 or visit their website at to register.

Permits and punch cards may be purchased at the Town Clerk’s office or through the mail. Vehicle registration must be provided when purchasing a permit.


Voter registration and absentee ballot forms are available at the Town Hall. Forms must be completed and returned directly to the Dutchess County Board of Elections. To contact Board of Elections please call 486-2473.


The Town Clerk is the Records Access Officer for all Town records. Many town records are available for public review. A Freedom of Information Request may be submitted. The request should reasonably describe the records and you should provide sufficient detail to enable staff to locate the items.

The Town of Washington works very hard to ensure that FOIL requests are answered as quickly possible. If we are unable to immediately provide the information requested, a response will be sent within 5 business days whether we can grant or deny the request, or if more time is needed.

The town may charge up to twenty five cents per photocopy or the actual cost of reproduction, unless otherwise prescribed by statute. You have the right to inspect accessible records at no charge. The town is permitted to require payment for redacted copies of records. If portions of electronic records can be reasonably redacted electronically, prior to disclosure, no payment can be required.

Not all records are maintained electronically, and some records which are maintained electronically may not be available in a particular electronic format.

As the Town moves forward with its website, we will make every effort to have as much information available online as possible. Town Board minutes are available online.


As Registrar of Vital Statistics, the Town Clerk maintains a permanent record of all births and deaths that occur within the boundaries of the town. (Excluding the Village of Millbrook) Records are also maintained for all Marriage licenses that are applied for in our office. We issue birth certificates, death certificates and burial permits.

We are able to provide uncertified copies of the following types of records for genealogy research purposes:

Birth Certificates – if on file for at least 75 years and the person whose name is on the birth certificate is known to be deceased.

Death Certificates – if on file for at least 50 years.

Marriage Certificates – if on file for at least 50 years and the bride and groom are both known to be deceased.

The time periods are waived for direct-line ancestor is a person in the direct line of descent, ie., the child, grandchild, great grandchild of the person whose record is requested.

The direct line ancestor applicant must provide the following:

  • Proof of their relationship of the person whose record they are requesting.
  • Proof of the death of the person whose birth certificate they are requesting.
  • Proof of the death of the bride and groom whose marriage certificate they are requesting.

The standard fee for a genealogy copy is $22.00. This includes a three year search of the index, the retrieval and re-filing of the document and either a copy of the record or a no record report. When more than a three year search is requested the fee increases. The fee applies separately for each record requested. Processing a genealogy request generally takes between 3 and 14 business days.